The ultimate fieldtrip!
The Neo-Tropical Ecology Course is designed to introduce the student to the world of the tropical wet forest and to allow him/her to also experience a bit of the upper montane/cloud forest, the mangrove forest, and the tropical marine world. The student will observe a diversity of life zones, ecosystems, and species in the tropics. Lectures and discussions will be held on topics such as: the role of the national parks system, deforestation, and the responsibility of private reserves and the private citizen.
Students will do extensive hiking, perfect their observation and field research skills, and conduct a group and/or individual research project. Added to these experiences, the students will be exposed to many aspects of the Costa Rican culture and encouraged to practice the Spanish language. The group will also participate in a service or conservation project in one of the nearby communities, in a neighboring protected area, or within the Campanario Station itself.
Participants should be in good health, as this is a physically rigorous program. All participants should have adequate health and accident insurance which covers activities in remote locations, including evacuation procedures, just in case.
Contact us for additional information and group reservations.
Click here for updated costs.
* Round trip chartered bus transportation from San José
* Visits to other life zones in Costa Rica
* Boat trip to and from Campanario
* 9 nights of lodging during the trip, Campanario and elsewhere
* 3 hearty meals a day during the trip; breakfast, lunch, dinner (snacks are not included)
* All-day hike to Corcovado National Park
* Trip to Isla del Caño
* Tour through Sierpe-Terraba Mangrove reserve
* Hikes through and activities within the Campanario Biological Station
* Access to Campanario facilities including library, lab equipment and field research tools
* Entrance fees to all parks and reserves
* Campanario educational program and materials
* Instructor throughout the trip
Note: Campanario reserves the right to adjust or cancel portions of any itinerary due to bad weather or dangerous sea conditions.